Monday, December 16, 2013

Walking with God

Happy Holidays!  'Tis the season for carols, mince pies, mulled wine, and (sometimes unfortunate) Christmas jumpers.

yup.

It's actually been really "Christmas-y" here for quite a while.  Since this lovely country doesn't have the "let's wait to put up decorations until AFTER Thanksgiving" option, lights and such have been up since mid-November.  You won't hear me complaining, though; having lights and decorations helps to stave off any depression that comes from sun setting at 4pm ; )

Oxford Street in central London


Selfridge's, a huge department store on Oxford St.

I can hardly believe that Christmas is almost here; the last month has just flown by.  Koinonia had an awesome Thanksgiving party at the end of November to honour the awesome American holiday and support all the Americans who are away from their families.  Lindsey and I lead a team of chefs who prepared the classic feast for a crowd of forty people!
with co-chef Lindsey.  Look at those birds!
GAP director Joe carving one of the turkeys
Party!
The Thanksgiving party was such a hit that we figured we'd get everyone together again, this time for Christmas!  There are a ton of pictures on my Facebook album, but this one's my favourite:
with my housemates: [l-r] Sawsan, Me, Finja, Miriam, Lindsey
(But seriously, I've done more than go to parties in the last month... )

I got my driver's license the day I turned 16.  When I first started going places by myself, my mom told me that I should drive "like there was a police car behind me."  I did, and it really helped me to focus on what I should be doing.  In the long run, I definitely think that it made me a safe(r) driver.

In the same way, my GAP year is teaching me how to walk knowing that Christ is with me: to pray consistently and to be aware of my actions, thoughts, and how I speak.  Unlike the car analogy,  Christ is actually with me every step of every day.  As I was reflecting on the beauty and encouragement of this, I was reminded of this poem:


One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord,
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, 
other times there were just one.

This bothered me because I noticed
that during the low periods of my life,
when I was suffering from 
anguish, sorrow, or defeat,
I could see only one set of footprints

So I said to the Lord,
"You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, 
you would walk with me always.

But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life
there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, would you leave me?"

The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child, I love you and I
would never leave you.
During your times of trial and suffering, when you see only one
set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."


I am really appreciative of the timing of my latest reflections and musings about the Lord.  "Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel."  ~ Matthew 1:23.  Immanuel means "God with us."  Jesus came to earth as the Messiah to walk with his people, and he still does today.

I am so excited for next week!  Not only for Christmas, but also because people are coming to visit me!!! My parents and my sister Sarah will be in London the week of the 22nd, after which Sarah and I will head to Belfast to celebrate the New Year with friends!  I am so pumped to see some family and show them all around the city.

Until next time, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.  A big thanks to everyone for their support and prayer over the last four months.  I look forward to many more adventures in 2014 : )

Decorating for Christmas!
Household Christmas card photo shoot : )


Randomness for this week:
1.  There are various types of police officers here.  Most don't carry guns.
2.  I did a google search for "Christmas cookie recipes."  Result: "Did you mean 'Christmas biscuit recipes'?" *facepalm*
3.  This

<3 Molly

"Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be afraid, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my victorious right hand." ~ Isaiah 41:10

No comments:

Post a Comment